Rectory of the Anglican Parish of Kingston
Kingston, NB

Trinity Church and Rectory National Historic Site of Canada
Kingston, New Brunswick, E5N, Canada
Formally Recognized: 1977/06/06

Plaque

Trinity Church & Rectory

Trinity Church,the oldest Anglican church in New Brunswick, was built in 1789 by newly-settled United Empire Loyalists from Connecticut and New York.

Like those its builders had known New England, this building originally featured round headed windows and a large Venetian window over the chancel.  In 1857 it was enlarged and refurbished in the Gothic style that was considered most appropriate for Anglican churches of the period.

The Rectory was built in 1787-89 for the use of the Reverend James Scovil.

Trinity Rectory
The Rectory was constructed in 1787-88 to house the first resident minister and his family.  It has retained much of its traditional, unpretentious form, and still exhibits many characteristics of a middle-class home of the Georgian period.  The Trinity Church and Rectory form a remarkable unit, since surviving examples of both these buildings from the 18th century appear to be rare in the Maritimes.