St Paul's Anglican Church
Whitehead, NB

Trinity

St Paul's Anglican Church
Whitehead, NB

"Lord, what will you have we do?” ~ Acts 9:6

St Paul's Anglican Church, Whitehead, built by the Voluntary labour of its parishioners, was begun in the year 1836 and consecrated on September 16, 1841.  A stained glass window portraying the Lost Sheep was in place at the time of consecration and has been recently restored.

The land on which the Church stands, as well as its Cemetery, was donated by John White, one of the Loyalist of, 1783, and Ralph Haslett, who arrived in 1820.

A question which is often raised by visitors to this neat little church is "Why was the church built so near the water?' This could be explained by the fact that it was built at a time when the river boats traveled the Kennebecasis River regularly and docked at a wharf which can still be seen today quite near to the Church.  Also at this time several families lived and farmed on Long Island directly across the Kennebecasis from the church and traveled to church by boar each Sunday.

While the church was being erected services were held at the home of Mr. James White across the road from St. Paul's.  His home still stands and is occupied at Present.

The first burial in Sr. Paul's cemetery was that of John Pendergrass in February, 1826.

For its Centenary celebrations, interior decorations were carried out as well as a reconditioning of the cemetery.  More recently, the plain chairs in the chancel were replaced by more ornate antique chairs which were donated to the glory of God and reupholstered by parishioners.

The original steeple of St. Paul's had to be made taller when a new roof was put on.  Instead of tearing down this steeple a new one was built on top of the first one. On June 29, 1965, St. Paul's steeple was struck by lightning. Luckily, no fire resulted.  Thus, the present steeple is the original one.  After being refinished, it was dedicated on June 26, 1966 by the Most Reverend A.H. O'Neill.

On display in the vestibule of Saint Paul's are two historic artifacts.  One is a wooden fish which was originally on the top of the steeple, and which was recovered years after the steeple repairs.  The other is a lantern which once hung on a carriage house located near the church.  It is often lit for evening services.

St. Paul's, at one time in danger of being abandoned in favour of amalgamation with the larger churches in the parish, is still active today due to the faithfulness and dedication of its present members